Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Writing to Live Chapters 3

Important points:
Different ways to integrate authentic writing into the ELA curriculum.
-Understand that discourses and literacy are social practices
-In order for children to appreciate writing they must see connections between their lives and writing.
-Multiple literacies have emerged and we should be able to integrate them into our teaching.
*Technology is the most novel of the new litereacies
-enables children to work in a nonlinear way
-a whole new language has been developed for text messaging
-in the near future the lack of a computer will
be a determinantfactor in who succeeds in school
-We learn new literacies out of need and by immersion
-Invite children to bring their literacies into the classroom.
-Literacy should be aligned with social practice, otherwise students won't be able to see the connection between school and the real world.

Personal Connections:
I've been studying English since I was 6-yrs-old along side my cousins. I got to visit the US many summers and they didn't. My English was a lot better than theirs but it wasn't until I moved to the US permanently that I figured out that, not all English was created equal, i.e. accents, slangs, idioms, etc. It wasn't until I was immersed in the American culture that this things became second nature to me and I still stuggle from time to time with regional dialects and idioms. My cousins came back recently and believe you me they know a lot of English grammar but they don't know the social aspect of the language. I can translate this experience to the classroom because so many times I've seen skills being thaught in isolation and where writing only pertains to school related subjects and there's no social aspect involved at all. Children will only want to write and will write when they are immersed not only in the grammatical rules but in the social aspect of writing.

Questions:
*Any ideas on how to bring more authenticity into the ELA curriculum?
*How can I achieve this level of writing with my students when the textbooks that I'm given (forced to use) are outdated and don't support a balanced litereacy and aren't part of an alligned curriculum?

2 comments:

Christine said...

Sugey,
Does your school have access to classroom sets of novels or do you have to use Open Court? Also, many times the stories in OC are just excerpts of full-length novels. Maybe your principal would let you extend to the entire novel. You might also incorporate reader response journals if blogging is unavailable :) and let students respond and share in literature circles.

teach to inspire said...

Sugey,

Not sure how much flexability you have in the classroom, but it is my philosphy that textbooks are "resources". Never, did I feel bound to the basal. I have brought in other texts such as Scholastic News, National Geographic, Time for Kids, the local newspaper and have had studetns respond to the reading through writing, personal opinions and connections to the issues. Many of these resources disscuss currnet issues and present things that the children find meaningful thus they produces some pretty good writing pieces. My principal is very supportive therefore, I was able to get these subscripiton through school money, pta, and so on.

Regrarding your questions about how I will use this in my new role. I plan to share the ideas and hopefully model it in the classrooms.